Friday, March 20, 2009

the troop

The troops were moving further away from the coast, feet dragging through the mosaic of tall grass. They were under the cover of the stars, their camo uniform blending into the surrounding, becoming just another shadow in the trees.
“Hurry up. Hike! Come on, men!” The Captain was in the lead, slashing out with his machete, beads of sweat coursing down his stern face.
Their boots hit the edges of a creek, and everything came to a halt as men filled canteens, and wiped there dirty faces. They were exhausted, after landing a few miles from the port of san Marco, but that was not there destination, they would settle with in the forest in North Florida, until given the signal to head forth.
“How are you holding up,” Daniel came to sit beside his comrade, who was tightening his shoe lace.
“Fine…” was the only reply he got from his bald twin companion.
“Well, Joey,” Dan ran a hand across the top of his buzz cut, feeling the hair prickle against his palm, “Did you fill you canteen, it looks like we’re moving again.”
“Yeah, I filled it, so get off my case.” The man stood, stalking off to the front of the pack. Dan followed. Everyone seemed to be very touchy since they last left home, and the idea of not being able to write their families back, has caused anger to flare through some of the troops members, Joey in particular, because he wife seemed to have came down with anemia, and it has been difficult for her to take care of their three small children.
A firm hand fell upon the young man’s shoulder, making him, jump back, holding out fists in front of him. A chuckle broke his defense, as muddy brown eyes twinkled lively, a young smile beaming at Dan.
“But your fist down bud, I didn’t mean to scare ya.”
“That’s what you always say Kyle, but I know, oh I know.”
The handsome Kyle smirked, “What do ya know?”
“I’m not really sure, but I do know who put that snake in your bag the other night.”
“You didn’t.”
“Sure did, caught it myself .” Dan stood proud his chest puffed out.

No comments: